-  -  - 
Cultural addresses in the Greater Region
ADVANCED SEARCH
calendrier
calendrier




Co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund in the framework of the programme Interreg IVA Grande Région.
The European Union invests in your future.
Place Stanislas by zemoko at flickr.com
Place de la Carriere by Ivan Herman at flickr.comPlace d Alliance by ...johann j.m. at flickr.comPlace Carriere à NancyNancy, Place Stanislashttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIJTicocoFohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIJTicocoFo

Ensemble Places Stanislas, de la Carrière et d'Alliance

Summary

The three squares in Nancy represent a unique artistic achievement, a masterpiece of the creative genius.

 

More information

Nancy, the temporary residence of a king without a kingdom – Stanislas Leszczynski, later to become Duke of Lorraine – is paradoxically the oldest and most typical example of a modern capital where an enlightened monarch proved to be sensitive to the needs of the public. Built between 1752 and 1756 by a brilliant team led by the architect Héré, this was a carefully conceived project that succeeded in creating a capital that not only enhanced the sovereign's prestige but was also functional.

At the end of the 17th century the French, who had occupied Nancy, established a means of communication with the New Town by opening a gate in the walls, calling it the Royal Gate in honour of Louis XIV.
Stanislas Leszczynski, unhappy pretender to the Polish throne and father-in-law of Louis XV, King of France, received as a recompense for his abdication the Dukedom of Lorraine for life. He 'reigned' there peacefully from 1737 to 1766. It was during the reign of Stanislas that the link between the Old Town and the New Town took a concrete form.
He wished to fuse the two cities that made up his capital: the Old City and the New City (created by Charles III in 15881) by organizing their junctures around a double axis: one east - west bounded by the Portes Sainte-Catherine and Stanislas, forming the northern limit of the new city, and the other north-south, marking the junction between the quarter with the Ducal Palace and the new urban centre, with its Place Royale dedicated to Louis XV, the present Place Stanislas.
The works which resulted from the urbanization of Nancy are the most beautiful creations of the patronage of this prince.

www.unesco.org


You will find more information about each place on the plurio pages „Place Stanislas“, „Place de la Carrière“ and „Place d’Alliance“.

Ensemble Places Stanislas, de la Carrière et d'Alliance
1 Place Stanislas
54000 Nancy
France
Internet:
www.ot-nancy.fr
57