The Church of our Lady (German : Liebfrauenkirche) in Trier is situated next to the Cathedral in the city centre. Together with the St. Elisabeth’s Church in Marburg it is considered to be the oldest gothic church in Germany.
Archbishop Theoderich von Wied began the construction of the church in 1230. The former building dating back to the time of Constantine the Great, formed an enormous double church together with the neighboring cathedral. But over the centuries, it had become dilapidated and had to be torn down. Yet, to build the new church, parts of the fundaments of the ancient construction could be used.
The exact date of the beginning of the works cannot be determined. Master builders and artists from Lorraine played a substantial role in the construction of the church. So, they influenced the building with the architectural ideas of Gothic art, which was already widely developed in France at this time. Thus, the church is one of the earliest German examples of French Gothic art.
In 1986, the UNESCO inscribed the Liebfrauenkirche and the other roman monuments in Trier onto its list of World Heritage Sites.
Dom zu Trier / CathĂ©drale de TrĂ¨ves / Cathedral of Trier, Trier - Rheinland-Pfalz
Igeler SĂ¤ule / MausolĂ©e d'Igel / Igel Column, Igel - Rheinland-Pfalz
Kaiserthermen Trier / Thermes impĂ©riaux de TrĂ¨ves / Imperial Baths Trier, Trier - Rheinland-Pfalz
Konstantin-Basilika Trier, Trier - Rheinland-Pfalz
Porta Nigra, Trier - Rheinland-Pfalz
RĂ¶merbrĂĽcke Trier / Pont Romain TrĂ¨ves / Roman Bridge Trier, Trier - Rheinland-Pfalz
Trier - RĂ¶mische BaudenkmĂ¤ler / TrĂ¨ves - monuments romains / Trier - roman monuments, Trier - Rheinland-Pfalz