Réseau des sites majeurs de Vauban - Fortification de Longwy
From 1648-1660 Longwy was part of the Kingdom of France, returning to the Duchy of Lorraine afterwards. It was made part of France again in 1670, a situation which was finalized in the Treaties of Nijmegen in 1678. Vauban fortified the town during the reign of King Louis XIV of France.
In 2008, the ville neuve ("New Town"), was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as part of the "Fortifications of Vauban" group.
Longwy is a "new town" created ex nihilio by Vauban and the engineer Choisy from 1679 in strategic opposition to the city of Luxembourg. The church, the town hall and the manutention were built in the 1730. In spite of its destruction – the fortress was besieged in 1792, 1815 and 1871 and completely destructed in 1914 – the town preserved the elements of its military infrastructure.
The lower town developed thanks to the thermal baths and the steel and ceramic industry. The upper town was militarily declassed in 1923. Then, half of the town wall was destructed in order to extend the town.